Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mini Pub Crawl

Kelly and I had a great night out on the town in Madrid on Friday night. Kelly keeps a list of places she wants to check out and I had a few recommendations of bars to visit, so we were ready to check some places off the list. It turned out to be a night of entertainment and various forms of live music.

We started at Cuevas de Sesamo which is a Sangria bar in a cave-like bar with quotes written on the walls. I was told this was a "bomb sangria bar" so of course we ordered a pitcher of sangria to start the night out. We exchanged office gossip while listening to a little old man play the piano.






















(Photos: The bar, the piano player, the sangria...before and after)


Our next stop was a place on Kelly's list that was a typical Spanish bar. We were hoping to get some food but it was very crowded, so we just had a beer and moved on to the next spot.


Good thing the that bar was too crowded to order food because well fell upon a pot of gold when we walked into a fairly empty bar. There were two men inside performing. They both played the guitar and sang flamenco!! The real treat was their groupie...a woman sitting at the table right next to where they were singing that was convinced she was part of their musical group. She clapped along and even busted into song a few times! She took it all very seriously. Oh, and she also would wave to people standing outside to come into the bar. The other woman at the table, that we like to think was her daughter, was also enjoying the music. She got up a few times to dance. She had a friend with bright red hair and in a red outfit that she would dance with...not sure if they knew each other previously or if they just bonded over their love for the music. I started questioning why we even paid to see a flamenco show just a few nights before.
We ordered some food and beers while we watched "the show." I was kinda sad to leave that place, but it was time to move onto the next bar...Populart.










Above: The Groupie

Below: The Red-Headed Dancer













Me saying "OLE"








Populart was another recommendation I got before I came to Madrid. Its a Jazz bar, although I think on this particular night it was Blues music according to their website. I am pretty sure the band was from the States and Kelly and I were the only ones who understood what the singer was saying.










Our night ended here so we could get a ride back to the burbs, but that was ok by me since I had plenty of beer and sangria in me at this point. Grad school killed my tolerance! All those weekends sitting at home writing papers turned me into a lightweight!

Good times! Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment